Wine of the Month – August 2022 – Volker Wines Grüner Veltliner 2021
It’s summer. It’s hot. If you’ve never had Grüner Veltliner before, here are five reasons to give it a whirl.
- It’s delicious – if you enjoy crisp whites with citrus flavors and no oak, say no more.
- It’s refreshing – incredibly easy to sip and the acidity allows it to pair with just about anything.
- It’s new (to you) – give your palate a change of pace, the flavors are amazing.
- It’s easy – no presumptions here, just good wine and great value.
- It’s delicious – I’m not sure we mentioned this, but it’s worth repeating if we did.
This month’s offering comes from Volker Donabaum. A man who literally grew up amongst vines at his family’s estate (winemakers since 1833). Volker’s Grüner Veltliner von Donabaum 2021 is produced using organic grapes from sandstone and loam vineyards located in Mittelburgenland. A clean, crisp refreshing wine with notes of fresh cut grass, Granny Smith apple, and white peaches. The palate is fresh and mineral-driven, with flavors of slate, citrus peel, and crushed white flowers. Savor in the shade on a warm (hot) Summer afternoon.